Being more energy efficient in our homes and workplaces is one of the easiest ways to reduce our costs, as well as our vulnerabilty to changing and increasing energy prices.
The links below are designed to help you access local and national information that will help to make your environment more energy efficient.
- Draft proof
- More draft proofing!
- Insulate your hot water tank
- Insulate your loft
- Get cavity wall insulation
- Get your solid walls insulated
- Get under floor insulation
- Switch to low energy lightbulbs
- Find out even more about energy efficient lighting
- Switch your electricity provider
- Increase the efficiency of your range
- Replace your central heating boiler
- Line radiators on external walls
- Upgrade your heating controls
- Double glazing and secondary glazing / more on secondary glazing
- Insulate sloping windows and dormer windows
- Only buy A rated new appliances
- Make sure your wood stove is fuel efficient
- Line your curtains
LOCAL RESOURCES & ADVICE
- For energy support and advice, call the Keep Herefordshire Warm advice line on 0800 677 1432 or email email@example.com.
- For information about keeping warm and well this winter: www.herefordshire.gov.uk/winter-wellbeing
- Free loft & cavity wall insulation is available to all home owners / occupiers and private tenants. For more information please call 0800 677 1432 (free from a landline), text 07583 740914 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Keep Herefordshire Warm are seeking groups to which they can deliver energy advice sessions. At these sessions residents will receive free and impartial face to face advice to help them stay warmer and save money this winter. They will help residents with any query they may have. For information about this offer for local groups please contact Oliver Rothwell on 01743 277 114 or email email@example.com
- h.Energy Savers is a New Leaf project in Herefordshire to help communities work together and help each other understand more about how to make savings on energy. To read more, or to find an h.Energy Saver group near you, click here.
- If you are in the north of Herefordshire, check out the Lightfoot Energy Service.
- Community First have a scheme in Herefordshire and Worcestershire to enable local people to bulk buy their oil - so reducing their fuel costs.
- Click here for the Bulmer Foundation's excellent Sustainable Communities Directory section on energy efficiency.
- Marches Energy Agency is a Marches based registered charity and social enterprise, specialising in the delivery of practical, effective and creative ways of promoting energy reduction and renewable energy solutions.
NATIONAL RESOURCES & ADVICE:
- For information about Green Deal, a government scheme to help with energy efficiency measures, click here.
- Click here for government advice on energy grants and help with heating costs.
- Cheaper Energy Together provides a collective and instant energy switching service to get households a better deal through the power of group buying, and will also offer free energy saving advice and support.
- The Centre for Sustainable Energy has produced a range of downloadable energy advice leaflets for householders covering insulation, domestic energy use and small scales renewable. Their website also includes films on community planning and renewable energy.
- The Energy Saving Trust is a national charitable organisation offering impartial advice to communities and households on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably and save money on energy bills.
- Community Energy Online is a national governmental guide aimed at people who may be interested in setting up a community energy project.
- A useful article from the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/nov/18/how-to-make-old-homes...
- Many local people joined the Big Energy Race, and enjoyed access to many energy saving tips and ideas. We will gradually upload here some of that information. This is a sheet of simple energy saving ideas to share with friends.
- If you are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick you can ask your supplier to add you to their Priority Service Register (PSR). This includes priority help in an emergency, password protection for callers and much more. Click here for links for the main energy suppliers. If your company isn’t listed try searching online for your energy company’s name and “Priority Service Register”.
- This is great little Compare My Energy website helps you assess the way your own energy use compares to others in similar properties, and offers further energy saving advice based on the information you upload.
- Both EDF and British Gas Energy run trust to help individuals and families living in fuel poverty who are struggling with their gas and/or electricity debts by awarding grants to clear those debts. The aim of the trusts is to give vulnerable individuals a fresh start and enable them to keep free of fuel debts going forward. Click here for the British Gas Energy Trust, and here for the EDF Energy Trust.
For your own home, why not start on Youtube for some excellent clear advice on how to get some draft proofing done. Don't worry about any sales pitch and information about other locations, the basic advice in these video clips is easy to follow and sound...
And this one is fun ... How stuff works: a simple guide to insulating your windows
There are lots more out there - have a look and have a go.
Planning Guidance for Eco-Build
Roland Close, Principal Planning Officer for Herefordshire Council, gave an excellent presentation as part of h.Energy week2013 on guidance for eco build/renovations. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to see his presentation.
Details of the Council's Pre-Application Planning advice service (which is chargeable) can be found here.
For those of you who need it, the requisite form and fees schedule is set out in the last pdf at that link, on the right hand side entitled 'Pre Application Advice Request Form September 2013'.